Linux World Canada Planning meeting

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 6 17:22:04 UTC 2005

I am sending this out to the TLUG mailing main (not announce) list and to
the people who attended the second Linux World Canada Planning meeting, so
if you got this twice that was sort of deliberate (I just want to make sure
everyone got this at least once).

In follow-up to the second Linux World Canada planning meeting, here is what
the task list looks like now:

- Memberships - Everyone who plans to attend the show is responsible for
getting their own membership. If all you want to do is see the show floor
and help in the booth, then the membership is free - see
http://www.exporeg.com/lwnw/
- Handouts - A one page summary of what TLUG/NewTLUG is about - Chris
Johnson (Chris
- Two+ PCs for the booth - Colin McGregor
- Drew Sulivan has updated the TLUG Website - Done.
- Custom Knoppix - An interactive look at TLUG - Colin McGregor
- Colin McGregor followed up on the booth and found out that:
  - The booth will NOT come with power, getting power will cost over $100.
     consensus was we could not afford the power bill and that we would run
with UPS and laptop PCs.
  - No tables/chairs are provided, there is no problem bringing in our own.
  - No internet connection will be available.
  - Our booth number will be #306 to see where we are relative to the rest
of the show goto:

http://www.linuxworldcanada.com/pdfs/floorplan_linuxworld-networkworld_v2.0.pdf
    Consensus was that this was a ok position, and given what we paid this
was good stuff.
  - Seneca Cunningham is collecting of old presentations for use on Knoppix
disk
- Freebee stuff
     - Unbuntu Linux - 1000 copies? - Colin McGregor
     - Xerox - Open Office - Colin McGregor
     - IBM / SuSE - Leah Cunningham is to approach re: free stuff.
- TLUG Banner - Bill Thanis
- TLUG Shirts for booth staff to wear at the show - Pavel Zaitsev
- Seneca Cunningham has located a small laminating machine for TLUG badges
- Scheduling
      - Set-up and tear down times - Colin McGregor
      - Volunteers at the show - William Park

Other bits, I did price out the cost of getting round metal badges, and the
cheapest parts that will work with my machine are from a firm called Mister
Button, and their prices are here:

     http://www.mrbutton.com/214parts.htm

My feeling is that the cost of buttons is too high to make them a give away
item. Their comments about poor results are wrong if LOTS of pressure is
used during the assembly process, but it means that after doing two dozen
badges in a row my hands feel like rubber claws....

 Plan will be to have the next Linux World Canada planning meeting Thursday
at 8:00 PM in the Starbucks inside the Indigo Store at 2300 Yonge Street
(across the street from the Duke of Kent pub where we meet last time), north
west corner of Yonge and Eglinton.

Colin McGregor