new cable modem - and problems

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 16:48:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:30:48PM -0400, Matt Cahill wrote:
> I'm starting to think that the problem is beyond the dhcp client.  I
> tried connecting through dhcpd, but it kept saying that there was no
> subnet specified...again, I don't know enough about this to know what
> I should be specifying in the .conf file.
>
>  Well, there is an iBook that no one is using at work...OSX too.
>  Perhaps I'll try patching that into the modem to see if I can
>  connect.

dhcpd is a dhcp SERVER, not a client.  dhcpcd and pump and dhclient are
dhcp clients, which is what you want.  You do NOT want dhcpd on the
machine, unless it is configured to stay far away from the interface
your cable modem is connected to (or you risk assigning yourself an ip
which would be wrong).

Lennart Sorensen