new cable modem - and problems

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 17:00:46 UTC 2004

LS> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:30:48PM -0400, Matt Cahill wrote:
>> I'm starting to think that the problem is beyond the dhcp client.  I
>> tried connecting through dhcpd, but it kept saying that there was no
>> subnet specified...again, I don't know enough about this to know what
>> I should be specifying in the .conf file.
>>
>>  Well, there is an iBook that no one is using at work...OSX too.
>>  Perhaps I'll try patching that into the modem to see if I can
>>  connect.

LS> dhcpd is a dhcp SERVER, not a client.  dhcpcd and pump and dhclient are
LS> dhcp clients, which is what you want.  You do NOT want dhcpd on the
LS> machine, unless it is configured to stay far away from the interface
LS> your cable modem is connected to (or you risk assigning yourself an ip
LS> which would be wrong).

  Thanks - I think I've been confused between dhcpd and dhcpcd for the
  last while.  I don't believe I have dhcpd running, but I'll also
  check that because that would obviously not be a good thing.

--

Matt Cahill
                      m dash cahill at rogers dot com

"A corporatist society is organized precisely in order to marginalize ethics."
 - John Ralston Saul