Power [Mostly OT]

vertaxis vertaxis-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 31 14:33:32 UTC 2004

At 07:32 AM 2004/10/31, phil wrote:
>I've been having something odd happening over the past few weeks --
>getting worse -- and wonder if anyone here might have a comment because of
>being local or because of facilities experience.
>
>Sometimes various electrical things here turn off for anywhere from an
>estimated 1/4 second to 5 seconds.  At the same time, other items on the
>same circuit keep running fine.  When it starts happening, it will
>continue for maybe ten minutes  with two-or-three of these flickers per
>minute, happening two-or-three times per day.  (When it started it was
>more like a couple of "blinks" and then again the next day.)
>
>The things that are affected include the TV, furnace, refrigerator,
>ceiling lights....  So far, the computers haven't had a problem, but it's
>nerve-wracking to be working when the lights suddenly go out!
>
>Anybody have experience that would point to a cause for this kind of thing?

Since the big blackout last year, I've had 4 or 5 significant brownouts.

My advice:  UPS, UPS, and more UPSes.  It's the only way to protect your
computer hardware from the sags and spikes.  Other electronic equipment
will be vulnerable as well. so at a minimum, that expensive stereo or TV
should be on a good filtering powerbar.

If no-one else in the neighbourhood is having these problems with power,
then start looking for a bad fuse or breaker in your home.  Check to see if
your power problems are isolated to a single circuit.