Power [Mostly OT]

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 31 15:14:00 UTC 2004

phil wrote:
> I've been having something odd happening over the past few weeks --
> getting worse -- and wonder if anyone here might have a comment because
> of being local or because of facilities experience.
>
> Sometimes various electrical things here turn off for anywhere from an
> estimated 1/4 second to 5 seconds.  At the same time, other items on the
> same circuit keep running fine.  When it starts happening, it will
> continue for maybe ten minutes  with two-or-three of these flickers per
> minute, happening two-or-three times per day.  (When it started it was
> more like a couple of "blinks" and then again the next day.)
>
> The things that are affected include the TV, furnace, refrigerator,
> ceiling lights....  So far, the computers haven't had a problem, but
> it's nerve-wracking to be working when the lights suddenly go out!
>
> Anybody have experience that would point to a cause for this kind of thing?

You have to start looking at what's common and what isn't.  For example,
if you entire house was hit, a good bet would be outside problems.
However, since that doesn't seem to be the case, the problem is likely
something along the lines of a defective breaker, house wiring or
perhaps a power bar or extension cord.  A computer with a decent power
supply can ride out a brief interuption. to try and eliminate possible
causes.  Do a thorough examination of what's failing or not.  Please
note, that this could be a dangerous problem, partitculary if your home
has aluminum wiring.

Then again, with Hallow'een coming up, it might be ghosts.  ;-)