linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 31 07:34:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:55:14 -0400 (EDT), Robert Brockway
<rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Anton Markov wrote:
>
> > The new X.Org 6.8.1 xserver includes the "composite" extention which
> > supports "True transparency":

Yup.  But I haven't gotten it to work yet with any acceleration, hence it's
beautifully SLOW.  Though I've heard of people who have gotten it working.
I don't know if the older laptops being discussed would be supported for
such acceleration or not, though...

> There seems to be some confusion here.  The issue Taavi and I have been
> talking about is "network transparency" which is the term given to X's
> ability to feed graphics seemlessly over the network.  In effect an app
> might be local or remote and the user may never know, hence the term
> transparency.

Um...no, in fact I was talking about the eye candy that someone mentioned,
and how (to my knowledge) this is currently implemented would not be
a good thing to do over a network link due to the bandwidth limitations.
On slower machines it's bad enough when they're running on the same box
and have shared memory and the like.  That and the current effects have
some visual defects.  But xcompmgr fixes all of that, if it can be made to
work on the machines in question.

Hey, if you can get it working, that'd be a great advertising point...  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/