linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 30 23:55:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Anton Markov wrote:

> The new X.Org 6.8.1 xserver includes the "composite" extention which
> supports "True transparency":

There seems to be some confusion here.  The issue Taavi and I have been
talking about is "network transparency" which is the term given to X's
ability to feed graphics seemlessly over the network.  In effect an app
might be local or remote and the user may never know, hence the term
transparency.

This has nothing to do with the "True transparency" that X.Org 6.8.1
supports which is to do with allowing windows to be see-through.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.