linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 31 18:35:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Taavi Burns wrote:

> > There seems to be some confusion here.  The issue Taavi and I have been
> > talking about is "network transparency" which is the term given to X's
> > ability to feed graphics seemlessly over the network.  In effect an app
> > might be local or remote and the user may never know, hence the term
> > transparency.
>
> Um...no, in fact I was talking about the eye candy that someone mentioned,

Ah sorry.  There was confusion but it was mine.  Now I understand your
reference to True Transparency in an earlier post.

> and how (to my knowledge) this is currently implemented would not be
> a good thing to do over a network link due to the bandwidth limitations.

I'll have to test this to see how it goes.

I ran gltron on a Linux based thinclient last night.  It flew.

> Hey, if you can get it working, that'd be a great advertising point...  ;)

I'll see how I go ;)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.