router/firewall hardware advice

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 17:59:46 UTC 2004

Thanks very much to everyone who wrote back with advice and links!!

Do you know if I lose a lot flexibility/customizability if I use syslink
hub as opposed to linux based CD or pc router?

On my SMC, it seemed to force a choice between fixed IP and pppoe.  On the
fixed IP you could input the ip address, but not the password info. On the
pppoe option you could input password info, but no IP info. My provider
needs both, so I couldn't connect with fixed IP. It sounds like this
won't be a problem with linksys? Can anyone confirm that? (I'd like to use
a linux based CD or PC, but ran into objections at home when I
brought up the idea of another computer running full time ("too noisy").)

Alex