router/firewall hardware advice

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 18:53:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:59:46PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
> Thanks very much to everyone who wrote back with advice and links!!
>
> Do you know if I lose a lot flexibility/customizability if I use syslink
> hub as opposed to linux based CD or pc router?
>
> On my SMC, it seemed to force a choice between fixed IP and pppoe.  On the
> fixed IP you could input the ip address, but not the password info. On the
> pppoe option you could input password info, but no IP info. My provider
> needs both, so I couldn't connect with fixed IP. It sounds like this
> won't be a problem with linksys? Can anyone confirm that? (I'd like to use
> a linux based CD or PC, but ran into objections at home when I
> brought up the idea of another computer running full time ("too noisy").)

Your provider should not require an ip when using PPPoE even if you ahve
a static IP.  It should simple send you the static ip every time you
connect.  At least istop.com does as one would expect.  You either have
a static IP if using a plain bridged ethernet interface (not pppoe) like
high end dsl or cablemodem, or you use PPPoE which takes care of all the
settings (similar to DHCP actually).  Your ISP happens to know that your
static IP should be the IP sent to you when you connect with PPPoE
unless the provider is defective.

Lennart Sorensen