router/firewall hardware advice

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 16:03:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:38:14PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
> Does any one have any suggestions for a newby on choice of router for
> a small (3 pcs) home network with a fixed IP connection?
>
> If I configure a linux box as a router does it need two NIC cards?  Does
> it have to be (should it be) a dedicated router?  Are there good
> linux-friendly hub type routers that can be flexibly configured?
> How are CD/floppy based routers?

Well you normally require two NICs.  I only use one, since I haven't
gotten around to tgetting my second card back from a friend that
borrowed it a while ago.  I run PPPoE and running the PPPoE and local
network traffic on the same NIC is working fine since PPPoE doesn't run
IP packets so they don't really bother anything else on the network.
Don't do this unless you can trust every machine on your local network
of course.

> Currently I have an SMC router but it doesn't seem to work too well with
> fixed ip (or with linux -- I could only get to the interface using windows
> explorer.) Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Well some companies just can't code HTML to save their lives. :)

Or it is setup to only allow configuration from a specific port, mac or
ip perhaps.

Lennart Sorensen