Sympatico slow

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 19 23:12:41 UTC 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 23:03, John McGregor wrote:

> Sympatico's service was actually O.k. for quite a while, but since their
> link up with Microsoft service has been atrocious. I too will be
> switching to Istop in the very near future.

Hmmm, last night on Sympatico (my mothers computer):

  Fetched 6600kB in 21s (301kB/s)

Same time, my computer (istop):

  Fetched 6600kB in 57s (114kB/s)

When 3MB service first came available I was getting more than 300KB/sec.  I
asked on TLUG a bit over a month ago whether others were seeing the slowdown
and was told by Ralph (Istop owner) that the slowdown was due to the hordes
going back to school.  Now I am not so sure ...

I'm very happy with istop, decent performance, good price and not anal about a
person running servers.  If raw speed is a concern then perhaps istop isn't
the answer ... are other istop customers still seeing this slowdown?