Sympatico slow

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 23 05:41:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 04:05:47PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> >of the router.  That should take care of most of it.  I suggest NOT
> >using your sympatico email address to sign up with another ISP of
> >course.
>
> Why not ? I thought the red carpets of opportunity are redder for punters
> who ride the 'wrong horse'. Or are they ?

  You seem to be an optimist who has never experienced Murphy's Law in
action.  Here's a scenario...

  - You are joe_blow-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
  - You decide to switch to some other ISP, bad.example.com, where your
    address will be joe_blow-j30rFtiH+aqnzT0iUeSTvQ at public.gmane.org
  - Assume that there is a problem of some sort in your setup after you
    cancel sympatico
  - Your new ISP will send email with instructions to... where... ???

  If you're half-decently serious about connectivity, get a totally
separate low-cost backup dialup account.  And since you're changing
email addresses anyway, now is the time to register a personal domain,
even if it's only a cheap re-direction service.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did