spam deluge: who uses what ?

SlackRat ab460-0l1pH2CMacvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 18 20:32:28 UTC 2004

"Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The time has come to raise my walls against spam again. I am
> considering bogofilter. I have looked at other options, and this looks
> good for my setup. What do others use (spam filter on home server/home
> workstation under linux).
>
> thanks,
>
> Peter

I tend to just use the mail splitting capabilities in GNUS (putting known
items, From, To, Subject, etc. into separate groups) with the catchall group
for anything not split according to a rule in the config being potential spam.

For a server, apart from the mail that comes directly to my box, I was using
fastmail.fm and was happy with them for years until they recently started
using Sieve which seems to be a moronic application; the spam continues
unabated but it managed to flag traffic from the government Old Age Pension
Department in the UK, from a friend in Dallas and another in England as spam
and bounce it back. And these are only ones that I know about.

So pondering what to do, I recommenced using my Toronto Free Net account and
forwarding the mail from there directly onto my box at home. Whilst there is
more than a fair amount of UCE directed to the TFN, at least the good old
Toronto Free Net diligently forwards it allowing _me_ to make the decision on
what is, and what is not, spam after I split off the known traffic and review the
``Miscellaneous''  catchall group. I sure hope nobody at TFN comes up with the
bright idea of adding some spam filtering application :)

It is working rather well but does necessitate updating the Gnus config file
quite regularly to add and delete known sources.

An added side benefit is that I don't need to run fetchmail anymore either.

--
Slackrat