spam deluge: who uses what ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 18 22:14:56 UTC 2004

Thanks to all who answered. I installed bogofilter after looking at a few
of the options others suggested, and it works so far
(postfix->procmail->bogofilter). I used a ~750 spam message file that I've
been collecting for some time. bogofilter was a relatively small download
(600k vs 20M for SpamAssasin and crm114 and other such).

Installation was painless after I got BerkeleyDB and set up the procmailrc
using the example given in the bogofilter manpage. I trained the
bogofilter once by feeding it the entire spam mailbox file and several
'good' mailbox files totaling several megabytes.

It was very fast (a few seconds) learning these files. I understand that
it would have taken much longer with Perl based tools, from the speed
comparisons on the web. The words.db file is ~7M. Operation is near
instant (I cannot feel a slowdown in mail delivery).

The current setup (from the manpage) takes care of the bogofilter training
by itself (I only need to manually resubmit messages when it fails).

I have already seen two 'good' messages pass and one spam caught. So far,
so good.

Is there a rule based tool or wizard to set up procmail rules with white
and blacklists and such ?

thanks to all,

Peter