Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 17 02:02:15 UTC 2004

Aaron Vegh wrote:

> I have begun a project called Dark Sun Linux. It's goal is to create a
> new GUI for the Linux desktop. It walks away from the "desktop"
> metaphor of files and folders and trashcans, of icons strewn on the
> desktop, of windows piled on top of windows.
>
> Instead, Dark Sun proposes to abstract the computing experience and
> cut its ties with the limiting metaphor; instead it'll be a system of
> drawers and trays, where files are kept by their applications, where
> the user knows exactly where everything is because it's _right there_,
> and where the keyboard is king.

If you want a real departure from the desktop metaphor,
then check out the recently /.-ed release of Croquet at:
  www.opencroquet.org

With sufficient cpu&graphics hardware, it runs on
Linux (as well as Windows and Mac). It's open source
under an MIT-like licence, and it's here already
(in an alpha release for developers), so you don't
have to start from scratch.

I tend to agree with your "keyboard is king" sentiment;
however, Croquet (presently) is heavily mouse dependent.
Many have already complained about the lack of
keyboard navigation, but now that it's been released,
someone will likely "fix" it.

--yanni