Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 17 15:30:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Aaron Vegh wrote:

>> OP is under mistaken notion that GUI will lead to more Linux sale.  It's
>> application which sells OS, not the other way.
>
> OP is not under mistaken notion. The apps are here, but they work
> together poorly. Especially now, we have a two-year window while
> Microsoft futzes with Longhorn and people are realizing that there are
> other options out there for their choice of operating system. Right
> now if they attempt to use Linux they'll be sorely dissapointed. Why
> don't we have something that provides something "different" and
> "better"? It should at least have the hallmarks of a system that is
> well thought-out, organized and consistent. None of these features
> exist in Linux today.

Imho what you want is something like FreeBSD or OpenBSD where the
developer core is closed and coherence can be achieved and maintained.
Linux is a movement, not an OS, and everyone does as he pleases. If you
want coherence you make your own distribution and maintain it. See Debian,
Knoppix, RH, SuSe etc. Each has its 'flavor' and people who run Linux
usually change the configurations heavily. The *bsd stuff is more coherent
and also has far fewer cutting edge projects and ideas going on it, that
might break something important. But, at the same time, I believe
Linux is the platform to develop your ideas on, because it is open
and flexible for such development. $0.02

Peter