Penguin Days Toronto

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 11 03:10:16 UTC 2004

I have attached information on Penguin Day Toronto. This event will be
of interest for anyone curious about the intersection of open source
software and civil society organizations. I think that it will be an
excellent opportunity to share technical knowledge and to learn about
new ways for open source software to make a positive impact.

**The migration begins ... Saturday, November 20th 2004**

<read on to find out more, or visit http://toronto.penguinday.ca>

Penguin Day Toronto links non-profits leaders, activists and socially
responsible techies for a day of question-asking, knowledge-sharing and
networking about the potential of Free and Open Source Software (F/OSS)
for non-profit organizations.

Whether you're looking for software that can change the world or just
want to find a way to get rid of all those nasty viruses, Penguin Day
will expand your knowledge of how F/OSS applications can help
non-profits. It will also provide you with a chance to help refine the
vision and vocabulary which are guiding the civil society + free
software movement that is emerging all around the world.

** Who should come to Penguin Day?

You don't have to be a geek to take part in Penguin Day! Penguin Day is
designed for anyone interested in the question of 'how can Free and Open
Source Software help?' Past Penguin Days have included:

- People from non-profits who are wondering about the potential of F/OSS
for their organizations
- Developers and implementers who want to find out how they can use
their skills to help non-profits
- Social entreprenuers intrigued by the way F/OSS strikes a balance
between business saavy and community values
- Free software activists who want to share their enthusiaism with
others
- Funders and others that support non-profits who are wondering what all
the fuss is about

The result: a lively, educational and catalytic conversation that leaves
everyone buzzing ... and that almost always catalyzes an aftermath of
concrete projects, ideas and offers of support.

* What will we talk about?

Like other Penguin Days, the Toronto conference will use a dialogue
oriented approach to inspire non-profits and developers to dig into the
questions and issues that interest them most. Current topics under
consideration include:

- Intro to FOSS for NGOs: why it matters and what it can do
- Helping techies talk to non-techies
- How you can help out with FOSS projects
- Talking tech to non-techies: how to help
- Political convergence: connecting the free software movement with
other social movements
- Open source usability
- Cyber security for non-techies, and NGO admins - A consulation
- Participatory culture
- Public licenses and the arts in Canada
- Free software and social enterprise: is there a connection?

Penguin Day will also host Toronto's first Speed Geek -- a fast-paced,
energizing, hilarious presentation of free and open source software
tools that NGOs can use in their day to day work. The SpeedGeek will
include hands on demos of applications like: CivicSpace online campaign
tools, CoopTools decision making system, ActionApps web site management
tools and desktop Linux.

* How can I join the migration?

Penguin Day is not like a typical workshop -- it is about getting
immersed, involved and inspired. If you want to get involved by just
showing up, please sign up for our announcements newsletter by going to
this page:

http://penguinday.ca/subscribe

People on this newsletter list will be informed once the online
registrations have been set up and will also receive regular updates as
the program emerges.

Beyond showing up, there are a number of other ways to get involved in
Penguin Day. If you'd like to:

- ... share a Free / Open Source Software application or story with
others, please consider signing up for our SpeedGeek event. Mail to:
speedgeek-6Ibnxu0LzB9ilYSbzjW5Xw at public.gmane.org

- ... propose a workshop, we want to hear it. Mail to:
workshop-6Ibnxu0LzB+Smzr/n3d+5w at public.gmane.org

- ... just like to help out, you can volunteer by mailing to:
volunteers-6Ibnxu0LzB+Smzr/n3d+5w at public.gmane.org

Of course, we are also looking for sponsors who can help out with cash
or stuff to make the event happen. If you are able to help with
sponsorship, write to sponsors-6Ibnxu0LzB9ilYSbzjW5Xw at public.gmane.org

* Where and when

Penguin Day Toronto will be happening on Saturday November 20, 2004
between 9:30 and 4:30. It will be held at the 215 Centre for Social
Innovation, which is on Spadina Avenue just north of Queen Street. The
address is 215 Spadina, Suite 120.

See you at Penguin Day!

** CHECK OUT: http://toronto.penguinday.ca **
** AND, PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR FRIENDS**