xrandr capabilities and hardware ?

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 10 01:52:03 UTC 2004

  On my 5-year-old Dell, /proc/pci reports the video card as...

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 92).
    Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf5000000 [0xf5ffffff].
    I/O at 0x9000 [0x90ff].
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4100000 [0xf4100fff].

  The monitor is a NEC MultiSync95.  I'm running CRUX linux ( webpage at
http://crux.nu ) which is quite up to date and has xrandr.  All that
xrandr can do on my setup is resize the the image.  This is better than
{CTRL-ALT-GREYPLUS} and {CTRL-ALT-GREYMINUS} because both the physical
*AND* the logical screensize get resized.

  xrandr is also supposed to be able rotate the image, which would be
usefull for some websites which seem to think that they're newspapers.
That ability does not exist on my system.  Not that it matters; picking
up the 19" beast of a CRT and putting it on its side would mean risking
a hernia each time.

  One of these days, I'm looking forward to getting an LCD display that
can be rotated 90 degrees.  Is anyone aware whether image-rotation is
limited to LCD displays, or whether it's a a function of your video
card?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did