how to properly and safely install Fedora Core 3 Linux on my system

Simon Tonekham simon_128-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 00:22:25 UTC 2004

To whom it may concern:

I'm planning to install Fedora Core 3 Linux on my computer. I have a compuer
with these following specifications:

- Intel P4 at 1.4Ghz
- Intel D850GB Mainboard
- 256 MB RDRAM
- 30 GB Hard Drive (planning to upgrade to a bigger one in the near future)
- LG 16X DVD-ROM (Equiv. to 48X CD-ROM) drive
- A-Open 48x write/12x re-write/50x read CD writer
- Nvidia TNT2 Video card at 32MB
- ATI TV Wonder VE PCI TV Tuner
- Intel D850GB Mainboard
- Intergrated Intel sound and 10/100 networking

Currently, I'm running Windows XP Professional with SP2 on my computer
system. I want to know how can I safely and properly install Linux on my
system. When I tried to installed it on my uncle's computer over the summer
(at that time Fedora Core 2 was installed), it nearly obliviated the system
because there was a second operating system - which is Windows XP
Professional. We used partition magic 8 to partition the hard drive, but I'm
guessing it was written over the MBR, but not the "/". Don't know what "/"
means in general.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on how to safely and properly install
Fedora Core 3 Linux on my hard drive? If you have any suggestions, please do
not hesistate to do so. Thank you.

Simon Tonekham
Ajax, Ontario