Firefox compatibility for VS.net Web apps?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 23:51:43 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 10:54, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi there,
> One of my clients is a software development shop that only uses
> Microsoft products. In this case, as in most, they have used Visual
> Studio.NET to create a scheduling application. Perhaps too late, they
> found out THEIR client is running Macs, and will be using Mac IE to
> view the site.

This underscores the folly of making the incorrect assumption that everyone
runs Windows. Unfortunately, all too many developers in this situation just
shrug and say "They should run Windows." and strand a bunch of users.

> This issue has come up in the past, where they'll build
> sites that look and work as expected in WinIE, but break in other
> browsers.
>
> Now here's the kicker. As a Mac and Linux user and non-Microsoft kind
> of guy in general, they've asked me to consult them on how to make
> their application compatible with Mac IE in particular,

Not going to happen. IE on the Mac is dead and even when it was alive, was a
different beast than IE on Windows.

> but a nice
> gold standard like Firefox generally. The correct answer,
> unfortunately, isn't "use a different development environment!" Given
> that we're stuck with MS, I need to find a resource that shows what
> elements of VS.NET break browser compatibility. An extensive search on
> the web has yielded nothing. Strangely, all the MS hoopla suggests
> that there are no browser compatibility issues when using .NET.

Depending on how many Windows specific features they used, it *may* be
possible to migrate to DotGNU or Mono and still have their app work in some
fashion.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay