Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meeting for Tuesday

Leigh Honeywell leigh-9JL22WV9E8YEaWwO4Jh2dQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 17:06:23 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-11 at 10:40 -0500, John Moniz wrote:
> I think when you consider that attendance at TLUG and NewTLUG have been
> pretty stagnant over the past few years, probably even some decline,
> despite the increased use of linux, what you are really talking about is
> a replacement for tlug and newtlug. Unless you expect your misslug to be
> stronger than the existing tlug (a possibility I suppose), then you are
> actually talking about the destruction of the area lugs as they relate
> to face-to-face involvement.
>
> We have just gone through an excessively lengthy thread about someone's
> considerable effort to try to establish a caffe that would act as the
> hub of LUG activity in the area. Before the floor polish is even dry, we
> now have another effort in an entirely different direction. It's no
> wonder we never accomplish anything of value at tlug. So, yes, I do
> think your efforts are MissPlaced. But I am not questioning the honesty
> of your intent and did not really mean to convey a flame, just
> disappointment.
>
> My suggestion would be to solidify one goal (such as the caffee), then
> move on when the numbers dictate that we should.
>
> John.

On the one hand, I know where you're coming from.  As a group, we don't
want to get ourselves spread to thin.  However, as a new TLUGger (and a
NewTLUGger too i guess, har har) I'm seeing so much activity here, and
think we could very well do geographically specific meetings.

Does TLUG do any advertising?  Posters around the campuses (I'd be glad
to put some up at U of T)? Listings in things like NOW and EYE?  Perhaps
we should think about this before we count out the idea of having a
meeting that could be way more convenient for some people :-)

just my $0.02

-Leigh