Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meeting for Tuesday

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 15:40:18 UTC 2004

Bill Mudry wrote:

> At 10:00 PM 11/5/04 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Bill Mudry wrote:

>>> I am all for meetings at Linuxcaffe. It is also more central and
>>> easier to get to
>>> for those of us in the west than it has been. However, there is
>>> eventually a limit
>>> of practicality on how far people can and are willing to travel. All
>>> recent
>>> discussions were for the formation of another complementary group
>>> for those
>>> who find it a long ways to go to meetings as they have been.
>>

>> Then maybe you should call it something other than TLUG or NewTLUG.
>> Something like MissTLUG or MissPlaced or MissFit might be more
>> appropriate.
>

> I agree with something like MissLug, but why the flaming with the
> other two names?? All this is
> so new that a new name was just not brought up yet. Oops, expanded
> that would be
> Miss. Toronto Linux Users Group, a contradiction.
> How about MissLUG and newMissLUG? No preference meant here for gender
> ;-).
>
> Bill

I think when you consider that attendance at TLUG and NewTLUG have been
pretty stagnant over the past few years, probably even some decline,
despite the increased use of linux, what you are really talking about is
a replacement for tlug and newtlug. Unless you expect your misslug to be
stronger than the existing tlug (a possibility I suppose), then you are
actually talking about the destruction of the area lugs as they relate
to face-to-face involvement.

We have just gone through an excessively lengthy thread about someone's
considerable effort to try to establish a caffe that would act as the
hub of LUG activity in the area. Before the floor polish is even dry, we
now have another effort in an entirely different direction. It's no
wonder we never accomplish anything of value at tlug. So, yes, I do
think your efforts are MissPlaced. But I am not questioning the honesty
of your intent and did not really mean to convey a flame, just
disappointment.

My suggestion would be to solidify one goal (such as the caffee), then
move on when the numbers dictate that we should.

John.