postgres/perl, autocommit and BEGIN; COMMIT;

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 31 01:54:08 UTC 2004

Ilya Palagin wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:

>>> Are you sure that you need PostgreSQL for your project?  MySQL is
>>> faster and more simple.  It's the best choise for simple databases
>>> like yours (I suppose that backup database is simple).
>>

>> Fair question, and I don't know the answer :/. I chose PostgresSQL a
>> while ago as my database of choice because I read of it's
>> capabilities. Since then that is all I have used. Maybe when the
>> deadline is passed I will try out MySQL and see how it compares.
>>
>> For what it is worth, it looks like the first big user will have
>> roughly 5TB of data to backup and likely over a million files and
>> directoried whose data needs to be saved, including unique records for
>> what is on each piece of backup media. Is that "small"? (honest
>> question). Thanks!!
>

> If a user has this amount of important data to manage, he needs
> something like Tivoli Storage Manager.  Saving just 20GB of data on tape
> takes a few hours, so his terabytes will loose integrity if he tries to
> store them with regular backup tools.
>

>> Madison (Who is looking more and more like she is going to miss her
>> deadline because of her lack of Javascript knowledge! >.< )
>
> I'm not sure if it's possible to make clickable openable folder icons
> with JavaScript (I guess it's what you need for files selection). This
> can be done with Java.

   Hi!

   Oh, tape backup is very much out of the question which is what drove
me to write this program. I couldn't find any canned software that made
use of external disk storage in a way that I wanted.

   If I can't get all of the function yet that is okay, so long as I can
get something that works at all for now. I will spend time after making
these easier to use and faster. I know you can do it with Java (Webmin
has a module like this) but one of my main goals was to require -no-
applets or other code on the client computer. I hope I don't have to
give in to make this work...

   Well, Emma and Anton have given me some ideas to chew on so...

Madison