postgres/perl, autocommit and BEGIN; COMMIT;

Ilya Palagin ilyapalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 30 21:40:57 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Ilya Palagin wrote:
>
>> Madison Kelly wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>   I was playing more with trying to get the database performance up
>>> when I realised that I needed to "COMMIT" to aply the updates.
>>> Realising this I decided to turn postgres' 'autocommit' back off and
>>> instead use "BEGIN/COMMIT" only on the large SELECT/INPUT/UPDATE
>>> section. The problem though is that no matter what I seem to try perl
>>> throws an empty error (generic software error) whenever this call is
>>> made ($db->do("BEGIN") || die "$DBI::errstr";).
>>>
>>>   If I go directly into postgres and issue the same command it works
>>> fine. I've looked at the O'Reilley "Programming the Perl DBI" book
>>> and it has stuff on autocommit but it either doesn't say what I am
>>> supposed to do or I am too daft/tired to get it. Has anyone run into
>>> this before? Since turning autocommit back off my test submit of
>>> ~2,400 entires has gone up from ~21 seconds to ~99 seconds... That is
>>> a frustrating development, too say the least.
>>

>> Are you sure that you need PostgreSQL for your project?  MySQL is
>> faster and more simple.  It's the best choise for simple databases
>> like yours (I suppose that backup database is simple).
>

> Fair question, and I don't know the answer :/. I chose PostgresSQL a
> while ago as my database of choice because I read of it's capabilities.
> Since then that is all I have used. Maybe when the deadline is passed I
> will try out MySQL and see how it compares.
>
> For what it is worth, it looks like the first big user will have roughly
> 5TB of data to backup and likely over a million files and directoried
> whose data needs to be saved, including unique records for what is on
> each piece of backup media. Is that "small"? (honest question). Thanks!!

If a user has this amount of important data to manage, he needs
something like Tivoli Storage Manager.  Saving just 20GB of data on tape
takes a few hours, so his terabytes will loose integrity if he tries to
store them with regular backup tools.

> Madison (Who is looking more and more like she is going to miss her
> deadline because of her lack of Javascript knowledge! >.< )
I'm not sure if it's possible to make clickable openable folder icons
with JavaScript (I guess it's what you need for files selection). This
can be done with Java.