Ontario Education ministry buys Star Office

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 29 02:47:21 UTC 2004

> > Besides, I never loved these Java-based products, taking unneccessary
> > to much resources (CPU and RAM). Upgrading these 10,000 computers so
> > that they can be used effectively with either starOffice or openoffice
> > will cost much more than any licences.
>
> Hm???  StarOffice and OpenOffice.org are written in C++, not Java.
>
> They may represent bloated C++, but then you should accuse them of being
> crummy due to C++, not Java.

OK. Should I apologize to Sun?

Why then I always thought that this is Java? No problem. My ignorance, I
believe.

In any case: there is a problem.

I personally would love to use WordPerfect 5.2 (eventually, a version under
Linux) - it can load from floppies. But I have no copy of it.

>From another side: perhaps Ministry did want to create some jobs for that
jobless army of programmers around (of windows, of course).

zb.