Ontario Education ministry buys Star Office

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 29 00:50:18 UTC 2004

> Well, I am often surprized when I hear on a Linux list that it is good to
> pay for software.
>
> Isnt openOffice quite the same in functionality as starOffice? And even it
> is not - could not students use it?

The thing that StarOffice comes with that OpenOffice.org does not is a
rich set of "document templates."  That has some degree of, oh, call it
"artistic merit."  And it is of some value.

> But the ministry would not feel serious if they decided that openOffice can
> be used on 10,000 computers across Ontario. It would look quite silly if all
> that was going to be for free, wouldnt it?
>
> Besides, I never loved these Java-based products, taking unneccessary
> to much resources (CPU and RAM). Upgrading these 10,000 computers so
> that they can be used effectively with either starOffice or openoffice
> will cost much more than any licences.

Hm???  StarOffice and OpenOffice.org are written in C++, not Java.

They may represent bloated C++, but then you should accuse them of being
crummy due to C++, not Java.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/finances.html