Ontario Education ministry buys Star Office

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 29 00:21:14 UTC 2004

Well, I am often surprized when I hear on a Linux list that it is good to
pay for software.

Isnt openOffice quite the same in functionality as starOffice? And even it
is not - could not students use it?

But the ministry would not feel serious if they decided that openOffice can
be used on 10,000 computers across Ontario. It would look quite silly if all
that was going to be for free, wouldnt it?

Besides, I never loved these Java-based products, taking unneccessary to
much resources (CPU and RAM). Upgrading these 10,000 computers so that they
can be used effectively with either starOffice or openoffice will cost much
more than any licences.

zb.