which distro for multitrack sound?

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 26 02:40:29 UTC 2004

David Colebatch wrote:

> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> The Foreplay:
>>
>> I want to record music in linux. I'm thinking of Audactiy because
>> it's easy to get and looks like what I want – a multitrack recorder.
>>
> You have got to check out http://www.agnula.org/index2_html

Thanks. I read a few pages at that site. Agnula's ReHMuDi looks like
just the ticket! It looks like a friend on this list is mailing me a
copy on CD. I might try DeMuDi. Debian scares me -- I have a stabel
installation that someone did for me, but I tried to install it once and
got hung at the sixth (or whichever) screen...

> I found it a few nights ago when I couldn't sleep and had the urge to
> get back into Music. (Life here in Australia requires me to "branch"
> out) ;)
>
> It's a Linux distro just for Music sequencing, recording etc. There
> are two flavours, a RedHat one (for you) and Debian one (for me :) )
> I'm a huge Debian fan, so this is what I'll be testing out. It will
> allow me to use apt-get to stay upto date with the latest packages

Tempting...

>> I have two pretty good systems:
>>
>> Compaq Deskpro EN
>>
> Go the Compaq... more RAM
>
> <BIG snip>
>
>> So, the first question I have is, which distribution? The second is,
>> which PC I should use for this? It's been suggested that the P733
>> will be faster than the Duron 800. And I do recall problems with the
>> Duron hanging.
>

> Well, I think I answered this one already. I mainly chose the Compaq
> because you had more RAM in it.

Yeah, multitrack recording software will be hungry for RAM I imagine.

>> I haven't had that problem of late but then I have not been using it
>> much. My only problem with using the P733 is that it has an onboard
>> card *and* a sound card. So, I don't know which sound card is the
>> “active” one (if that is aconcept that applies) at any given time. I
>> want to be able to leave my line, mic and speakers cables attached to
>> one card (the SBL! 5.1) and know that that is the card that will
>> record and play.
>

> This shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should also be able to
> disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Oh. I think the guy that installed sarge beta tried that but I won't
swear to it.

> <snip>

[...]

Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to trying one or both of the
Agnula OSs.

Chris