sex & foreplay

David Colebatch david-nuEF980otx7IfpyC97YFaV6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 06:11:54 UTC 2004

Chris Aitken wrote:

> The Foreplay:
>
> I want to record music in linux. I'm thinking of Audactiy because it's
> easy to get and looks like what I want – a multitrack recorder.

You have got to check out http://www.agnula.org/index2_html

I found it a few nights ago when I couldn't sleep and had the urge to
get back into Music. (Life here in Australia requires me to "branch" out) ;)

It's a Linux distro just for Music sequencing, recording etc. There are
two flavours, a RedHat one (for you) and Debian one (for me :) ) I'm a
huge Debian fan, so this is what I'll be testing out. It will allow me
to use apt-get to stay upto date with the latest packages

> I have two pretty good systems:
>
> Compaq Deskpro EN

Go the Compaq... more RAM

<BIG snip>

> So, the first question I have is, which distribution? The second is,
> which PC I should use for this? It's been suggested that the P733 will
> be faster than the Duron 800. And I do recall problems with the Duron
> hanging.

Well, I think I answered this one already. I mainly chose the Compaq
because you had more RAM in it.

> I haven't had that problem of late but then I have not been using it
> much. My only problem with using the P733 is that it has an onboard
> card *and* a sound card. So, I don't know which sound card is the
> “active” one (if that is aconcept that applies) at any given time. I
> want to be able to leave my line, mic and speakers cables attached to
> one card (the SBL! 5.1) and know that that is the card that will
> record and play.

This shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should also be able to
disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

<snip>

> Thank you. This is a long email to read.

Damn straight. ;)

Regards,

David Colebatch