sex & foreplay

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 02:52:56 UTC 2004

First the sex then the foreplay. That way I won't waste your time if
you're not interested. ; )

The Sex:

I can't configure my linux boxes to record musical instruments.

The Foreplay:

I want to record music in linux. I'm thinking of Audactiy because it's
easy to get and looks like what I want – a multitrack recorder.

I have two pretty good systems:

Compaq Deskpro EN
384 MB RAM
Sound onboard: Intel 18x0 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 01)
Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
NIC and 56K external modem

custom Duron 800
256 MB RAM
Sound: Creative Media CM 8738
Video: ATI Xpert 98 8 MB AGP
NIC and 56K external modem

I also have an external backpack CD-RW which I could use with either
machine (not that I've figured that out yet).

My instruments, cables, PC, soundcards and the stereo system that the PC
connects to for playback all work fine. I have recorded music under
Windows 98 so the hardware is all OK.

I've been running a business with applications running on linux for a
few months now – spreadsheet, word processor, printing, posters,
business cards, Internet and email. Multitrack sound recording is my
final frontier.

Here are some of the things I have done, resources I have, etc...

- I had a debian guru from the list install beta sarge on the P733. As
soon as I got the PC back to Timmins and booted it, I got the error,
“artsd - sound server fatal error - cpu overloaded” and have not been
able to record with the card. I can't play CDs either. I installed (even
bought) Vmware so that I could test the card in W98. Little did I know
that the VMware W98 vm can't use a real driver – it picks sound up (if
it's working) from linux via VMware Tools – in short, if I'm right, the
Vmware quest will pick up sound only if it's working on the host. But I
don't want to get sidetracked with VMware issues. I want to get sound
working under linux.

- I have a dial-up connection to the Internet so I can download
applications but not OSs. If someone out there inspires me to work with
a particular distribution I'll get it from Cheapbytes or wherever.

- At one point I had a linux/W98 dual-boot. However I found myself
spending too much time in W98 and too little in linux. Everytime I
didn't know how to do something I would just boot to W98. I don't think
that would happen now as I can do all (but multitrack recording and CD
burning) in linux now. So, if a dual-boot scenario will serve me well
for a while I may try that while I'm learning how to configure sound in
linux.

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to do a dual-boot
W98/linux (whatever tluggers talk me into) installation. Then I could
carve the hdb drive into two to back up song projects in W98 and linux.
The two benefits of this scenario are, 1. I would have access to
information about hardware (including that it is connected and working)
from W98, and, 2. I could start recording songs in W98 (on ProTools
Free) while I work away at configuring sound in linux. So, all week
linux would be up for business and sound configuration, and when the
weekend comes I boot to W98 and get recording (until Windows is finally
out of my life) – that kind of thing.

So, the first question I have is, which distribution? The second is,
which PC I should use for this? It's been suggested that the P733 will
be faster than the Duron 800. And I do recall problems with the Duron
hanging. I haven't had that problem of late but then I have not been
using it much. My only problem with using the P733 is that it has an
onboard card *and* a sound card. So, I don't know which sound card is
the “active” one (if that is aconcept that applies) at any given time. I
want to be able to leave my line, mic and speakers cables attached to
one card (the SBL! 5.1) and know that that is the card that will record
and play.

Of course, this all begs the question, why not just use W98? Well, I
don't want to. I hate the idea of using MS products even if I'm not
paying for them. Multitrack recording and CD burning) is the only thing
between me and a Microsoft-free life.

Don't be shy to suggest things that cost money. If buying a Mandrake
boxed set with support is the answer then I'll do it.

I'm not looking for the distribution I'm going to grow old with, just
one that a redhat, and soon-to-be-former Windows, user would be able to
learn with modest but consistent effort over the next five weeks (I want
to be multitrack-recording in earnest by the summer) and have a chance
of having Audacity (or another multitrack recording application) come up
and record instruments through the Mic and Line ports no my soundcard.

Thank you. This is a long email to read.

Sincerely,

Chris Aitken