Officially OT -> Re:My fiscal responcibility...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 23 12:10:37 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 May 2004, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>>

>>> On 22-May-04, at 22:55, James Knott wrote:
>>>
>>> You say God it is just fiction .  Prove it ;-)
>>

>>     Why should one believe in god any more than the monster under the
>>     bed? Or the tooth fairy? ......
>

>   Being Buddhist means I too don't believe in god but I do believe in
> Khamma and Dhamma (the former being analogous to the laws of physics
> that define our physical world except it governs the spiritual world and
> the later being the teachings of Buddhism).
>
>   That said, I totally understand and respect other people's beliefs in
> god. My mom, for example, is devoutly catholic and even presents surmons
> at her church every other Sunday). For her (and others who believe in
> god) He/She/It/They is/are a manifestation of the start of creation as
> we know and a point to focus on when trying to decide the meaning of
> their life and existance. If for no other reason than as a psychological
> tool god is both real and important.
>
>   For you and other agnostics you have decided that you don't need to
> believe in god or any other higher being and that life simply is. The
> trade off is that you need to realize the need, benefit and reality of
> god to others as much as they need to understand your lack of need.

As I said before, I don't doubt some people need to believe in fiction.
  However, you take any religion, and you'll have a hard time finding
facts in the real world to back it up.  Faith does not make reality. And
far to many people in this world take religious belief as reality and
use their favourite fiction, to impose their beliefs on others, and when
taken to extreme, you have the situation in the middle east etc.

You want to believe fairy tales?  Fine, just keep them to yourself and
quit claiming it's "God's" will" etc.