Officially OT -> Re:My fiscal responcibility...

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun May 23 13:57:33 UTC 2004

Lloyd Budd wrote:

> On 22-May-04, at 23:22, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>>   Being Buddhist means I too don't believe in god
>
> My limited understanding of Buddhism suggests that you also don't
> believe in not god ;-)
> "Buddhists suspend judgement until such evidence is forthcoming."
> <http://www.buddhanet.net/ans73.htm>
>
>>   That said, I totally understand and respect other people's beliefs
>> in god.
>
> Unfortunately , one of the only religions (or governments) that has .
>
> The religious position that someone who does not share that religion's
> beliefs is damned , (and unworthy of interaction except to "save" that
> someone) is ... immoral .
>
> What are the religions that are fully accepting of other faiths ?

   That link to Buddhanet was a great way to explain what I meant, thank
you. It is worth mentioning that "suspend judgement means that though we
don't believe in a god ourselves, we don't say others are wrong for
believing themselves.

   On you question; I am certainly not a theologist so I can hazard a
guess only. I know that the precept of Buddhism is to never discount
another person out of hand (or at all) because we must accept that we
can be wrong. Therefor, I feel it is justified to say that Buddhism
respects other religions (though it certainly does -not- condone the use
of a given religion as a tool to cause suffering to others). If I
remember, Hinduism has a saying that states (roughly paraphrased):

   "If a person lives north of a city and another person lives south of
the city and both travel to that city, each will be travelling in the
opposite direction. Are either going the wrong way? That is religion."

   "Acceptance" I am taking to mean respect for other's beliefs.
Obviously a person from one religion will not accept the tenants of
another religion as true because to do so would be to convert :).

Madison