making posters in debian/kde

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 15:17:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:11:55AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I want to make a poster for my business. I've never used graphics
> software. I've never used gimp and it didn't install with my beta sarge
> (I guess because we went with kde instead of Gnome. I have OO. I'm
> wondering what software (that I have) that is the easiest to make a

The GIMP is a raster graphic staple, and works just fine with KDE.  I
think it just uses GTK+, and IIRC that G refers to GIMP, not Gnome,
even though the latter also uses it.  ;)

> poster in. I don't know if I can do this in Kpaint, OO, or whatever. I
> don't see a template for 'poster'. Someone did a music poster for me
> once and there were jazzy fonts you could choose from, coloured boxes
> you could move around -- that sort of thing. He might have made it on
> Visio unless I'm confusing that application with another.

You might try Scribus.  It seems to be the desktop publishing program
of choice on Linux at the moment.  It uses QT, so is "more KDE friendly
than the GIMP" if one can say that.  It does serve an entirely differnt
purpose than the GIMP, though.  You'd probably be well advised to install
both if you want to do some serious poster work.  ;)

--
taa

What do you get when you cross and elephant with a mountain climber?
                            You can't.  A mountain climber is a scalar.
/*eof*/