Static IP

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 5 18:23:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, hui xu wrote:

> Thanks for everybody's help. I have checked istop.com web, but I got a new questions. It seems that I have to use telephone line +modem+filter to build a hi-speed internet with static ip. If what I am understanding is right, I got the following questions:
>
> 1. how can a telephone achieve 300M/800K speed?

Well, to be pedantic, it's the copper that's achieving that speed, not the
phone itself. And I think the numbers are 3Mbps/800Kbps at the top end.
300Mbps would be lovely but I think I'd want to see some proof.

> 2. If I use internet through phone line, can I use phone in the same time.

I have Sympatico DSL at home, and the phone and the Internet work at the
same time, essentially by splitting the frequency domain. Voice gets 300Hz
to 3.3KHz, and data gets the higher frequencies.

> 3. Could I use cable instead of phone line.

Sure.

> The reason I need a static IP is I want to build my home webpage on my server. Later on I can do some labs such as building DNS, LAN, FTP ,ISP etc.

If istop.com is OK with all that, then go for it.

Alex