sound and VMware Tools

aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 23:01:35 UTC 2004

2004 Mar 26 - 15:28
tlug at ss.org
>On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:08:34PM +0000, Chris Aitken wrote:
>> Yes, you installed it . : )
>
>No VMware is fully installed.  Win98 was for you to install in it :).

D'oh!

[...]

>If win98 doesn't have it in the system tray, then most likely the VMware
>tools are not yet installed.  Start windows in VMware, login, then
>select install VMware tools from the VMware file menu, and it should
>autorun in windows,

Yeah, I di d that over and over - it didn't complain - in fact it reported that it installed OK - but I don't think it did because there is still an 'Install VMware4 Tools' option on the VM menu.

otherwise run the setup from the CD drive inside
>windows that it mounts.

Run what 'setup' from what 'CD'?

>> Windows 98 is definitely installed in the vm.
>>
>> The numbers only go from ESS 488 to 688, and ESS 1488 to 1888.
>
>Sometimes called Soundblaster PCI128.

OK

>Should be on the VMware tools CD image that it mounts as part of the
>install VMware tools too.

OK

>> "Virtual CD"? I just point the VMWare tools installer to the real W98 CD
>> and it doesn't find the driver.
>
>If you select 'install VMware tools' it mounts a virtual CD that came
>with VMware.  I thought the driver would be on that.  It is probably not
>included with Win98 (it would be with 2000 or XP of course).
>
>Well I guess the driver is not included by VMware, in which case you may
>have to download a sound blaster PCI128 driver (ESS 1371) from
>creative.com for win98, which should make it work.

I'll try. Thanks.

Chris