sound and VMware Tools

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 20:28:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:08:34PM +0000, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Yes, you installed it . : )

No VMware is fully installed.  Win98 was for you to install in it :).

> Well not the system tray if that is analogous to Windows' systray, but
> the rectangle that you get on the toolbar when the application is
> running (minimized or maximized) is there (with the VMware logo).

If win98 doesn't have it in the system tray, then most likely the VMware
tools are not yet installed.  Start windows in VMware, login, then
select install VMware tools from the VMware file menu, and it should
autorun in windows, otherwise run the setup from the CD drive inside
windows that it mounts.

> Windows 98 is definitely installed in the vm.
>
> The numbers only go from ESS 488 to 688, and ESS 1488 to 1888.

Sometimes called Soundblaster PCI128.

Should be on the VMware tools CD image that it mounts as part of the
install VMware tools too.

> "Virtual CD"? I jus tpoint the VMWare tools installer to the real W98 CD
> and it doesn't find the driver.

If you select 'install VMware tools' it mounts a virtual CD that came
with VMware.  I thought the driver would be on that.  It is probably not
included with Win98 (it would be with 2000 or XP of course).

Well I guess the driver is not included by VMware, in which case you may
have to download a sound blaster PCI128 driver (ESS 1371) from
creative.com for win98, which should make it work.

Lennart Sorensen