fstab file

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 22 14:39:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:11:13PM -0800, Mel Seder wrote:
> If I change the noauto to auto would that put it on the desktop for me
> at login time?  I don't want to muck things up.

"noauto" means "don't automount".  Now that we've given the circular
reference...  ;)

On booting the command "mount -a" is given, which means "automount all
automountable-mounts", i.e. those which have "auto".  "noauto" means
do NOT mount these devices when "mount -a" is issued.  The manpage
for mount outlines this.

It has nothing to do with putting things on the desktop at login time,
though Fedora may put it on the desktop anyway, as it would be
mounted when you logged in.  I think what you'd be more interested
in is known as Supermount, which will automatically mount/unmount
the devices as you use/stop using them.  If you're lucky, your flash
reader would detect an inserted card, and the icon would pop up on
your desktop.  I don't know how well the detection works with various
card readers.

> Also thanks to Taavi Burns & others from TLUG I was confident that had
> a USB 2.0 port.  It works under XP although not quite as fast as I
> expected.

As explained, USB is a silly bus, and you can expect far less throughput
from it than the rated maximum; it is also highly dependent on CPU

> What entry in /etc/fstab is needed to set the above SanDisk
> Reader/Writer up.  If you need more information I'd be glad to get it
> if you tell me how :-)

Exactly the same one you already have?  Unless of course you plug
both devices in, in which case one might end up on /dev/sdb instead of
/dev/sda.  ;)

--
taa

   In order to solve the problems of violence,
   we need to transform our culture.
         --Bruce D. Perry
/*eof*/