A round of applause for Emma Jane Hogbin...

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 26 17:53:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:59:01PM -0400, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I thought that the presentation of it was actually more than a little
> insulting in that it was pretty directly slamming TLUG.  That would
> throw in another reason for disinterest.

No. That's not what the presentation was about. I'm sorry that you did not
read the entire description of what I was going to present. It read as
follows:

 Emma will address the following in her presentation:
    * Choosing your topic
    * Preparing an appropriate amount of content
    * Using slides to organize your presentation
    * Preventing slides from controlling what you have to say
    * Open source software for presentations
    * Overcoming stage fright
    * Preventing hecklers from taking control of your presentation

For those interested in seeing what my presentation covered, you should
read the slides at:
	http://www.xtrinsic.com/newtlug/040622/

Perhaps I should have also included in my one-sentence bio that I've been an
award-winning public speaker since the age of 11 (including three trips to
provincial-level public speaking competitions in my second language of
French). I actually know a thing or two about how to prepare a
presentation. I thought people would be interested. Silly me.

There was precisely ONE slide about dealing with hecklers and it actually
referred to my experiences at *NewTLUG* meetings. The first NewTLUG meeting
that I attended was mass chaos within the first half an hour. The audience had
completely taken over from the presenter. It was embarrassing to sit
through. I actually left to find the washroom and 20 minutes (and two
janitors pointing me to the right corridor) later the presenter was on
THE SAME SLIDE and he still didn't have command over his own presentation.
I was appalled with the audience for being so rude.

It was at that meeting that I asked Herb if I could prepare a
"Presentation Boot Camp" for people who were interested in presenting at
NewTLUG meetings. He said yes and seemed to think it was a great idea. Four
people showed up to my presentation and not a single one was interested
in presenting at *any* LUG within the next six months to a year. Apparently
everyone else is either an expert speaker, or also has no desire to talk at
NewTLUG.

I am always true to the summaries I send to the list. If I were going to
spend the entire talk "slamming TLUG" I would have said so right in the
description. Quite frankly I probably would have gotten a better turnout
if I had.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin