audio card: too many inputs ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 5 17:40:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:05:37PM +0300, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> Thanks to all who answered. I do not want a hardware solution (I have
> several). Playing digital is not a good idea. I need to be able to listen
> to one drive all the time, and occasionally listen to the other.
>
> I will use a hw solution as follows: A y-spliced audio cable and four
> resistors:
>
> cd1 out red o---r1---*------o soundcard in red
> cd2 out red o---r2---+
>
> the other channel is wired identically (white wires). The resistors will
> be 5kohms each.

Why 5kohm?

I am not convinced this is a correct way to do it, and I certainly think
using a common ground would make sense, not common left/right channels.

I have never actually hooked up the audio out from more than one drive,
since I never need to listen to more than one cd at a time.

> The circuit works on the premise that a cd that does not play has a muted
> output (and/or the output is controlled by the cd volume channel in the
> x11 player). Then the other cd can play. Its volume is reduced to half.
> This is not a problem. The muted cd will contribute some noise (it should
> not but this is the real world).

Lennart Sorensen