audio card: too many inputs ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 5 17:05:37 UTC 2004

Thanks to all who answered. I do not want a hardware solution (I have
several). Playing digital is not a good idea. I need to be able to listen
to one drive all the time, and occasionally listen to the other.

I will use a hw solution as follows: A y-spliced audio cable and four
resistors:

cd1 out red o---r1---*------o soundcard in red

cd2 out red o---r2---+

the other channel is wired identically (white wires). The resistors will
be 5kohms each.

The circuit works on the premise that a cd that does not play has a muted
output (and/or the output is controlled by the cd volume channel in the
x11 player). Then the other cd can play. Its volume is reduced to half.
This is not a problem. The muted cd will contribute some noise (it should
not but this is the real world).

Peter