audio card: too many inputs ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 5 17:48:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:05:37PM +0300, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to all who answered. I do not want a hardware solution (I have
> > several). Playing digital is not a good idea. I need to be able to listen
> > to one drive all the time, and occasionally listen to the other.
> >
> > I will use a hw solution as follows: A y-spliced audio cable and four
> > resistors:
> >
> > cd1 out red o---r1---*------o soundcard in red
> > cd2 out red o---r2---+
> >
> > the other channel is wired identically (white wires). The resistors will
> > be 5kohms each.
>
> Why 5kohm?
>
> I am not convinced this is a correct way to do it, and I certainly think
> using a common ground would make sense, not common left/right channels.

This is the correct way to do it. red, red and red together as pictured
through resistors, white, white and white together as above, with
resistors, gnd, gnd, gnd (black or bare shield) together without
resistors. The ground is common, I just did not draw it. The circuit
represents a simple resisitve adder. You can find it in any basic
electronics introduction.

> I have never actually hooked up the audio out from more than one drive,
> since I never need to listen to more than one cd at a time.

There is always a first time. ;-)

Peter