Getting perl to email via sendmail/postfix

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 15:57:50 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I want to use perl to send an email to a specific address when
certain conditions occur. I know that I could to something along the
lines of:

sysem '/path/to/sendmail email-Jbz+COfnBihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org < [file with message]

   Is this the best way to do it or is there a more intelligent way to
talk to sendmail/postfix? Also, as a side question, if I started the
file with the email in it like this:

Subject: <title>

   Would that set the subject line in the email? I hope that isn't a
foolish question; my experience is drawn from using telnet to send
emails manually. Is there a how-to or resource that I should read that
you could point me to?

Thanks all!

Madison