CD burner not working with cd-rw anymore

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 20 16:13:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 11:55, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:48:16AM -0400, Devin Whalen wrote:
> > I don't have all the specs for you, sorry but I have the error log at
> > home and forgot to take it to work :( but I will email it when I get
> > home if this can't be solved without the error log.  I just thought it
> > might be something people have ran into before.
> >
> > Just about a week ago my cd-burner stopped working with cd-rw.  It
> > cannot erase them, or burn to them.  At first I thought it was a
> > software problem, but I tried it with Nero and Roxie.  Then I thought it
> > was a cd problem, but I just bought a box of cd-rws yesterday and it
> > didn't work with them either.  It will burn to regular cds however.  Has
> > anyone run into this before?  What could cause a cd-burner to stop
> > working like that?.  The errors are messages like calibration error or
> > sequence error.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
>
> Do you have a CD-RW known to work with that drive before?
>
> Remember there are 3 types of CD-RW media.
>
> 1-4X, 4-10X high speed, and 10X+ ultra high speed.
>
> Most drives can only use 1 or 2 types, and will not work at all with
> other types.  That is not true of CD-R media, where pretty much any
> drive can write to any media at whatever is the highest speed in common
> between the media and the drive.
>
> What does this tell you:
>
> cdrecord -atip -dev (your device like hdc or sg0 or something)
>
> Lennart Sorensen

Hey Lennart,

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah, I never thought of that :).  However, I
did try a cd that it worked with before...however I think that that cd
might not be in great shape.  That is why I bought the new cds.  It says
on the package that they are 4x-12x.  I am pretty sure that my burner
can do 2x and 4x and 6x.  If this is true that should be ok right?  This
is my cd burner at home so I will have to check when I get home for
sure.  Maybe I should force it to do 6x?

Later

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer