CD burner not working with cd-rw anymore

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 20 15:55:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:48:16AM -0400, Devin Whalen wrote:
> I don't have all the specs for you, sorry but I have the error log at
> home and forgot to take it to work :( but I will email it when I get
> home if this can't be solved without the error log.  I just thought it
> might be something people have ran into before.
>
> Just about a week ago my cd-burner stopped working with cd-rw.  It
> cannot erase them, or burn to them.  At first I thought it was a
> software problem, but I tried it with Nero and Roxie.  Then I thought it
> was a cd problem, but I just bought a box of cd-rws yesterday and it
> didn't work with them either.  It will burn to regular cds however.  Has
> anyone run into this before?  What could cause a cd-burner to stop
> working like that?.  The errors are messages like calibration error or
> sequence error.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Do you have a CD-RW known to work with that drive before?

Remember there are 3 types of CD-RW media.

1-4X, 4-10X high speed, and 10X+ ultra high speed.

Most drives can only use 1 or 2 types, and will not work at all with
other types.  That is not true of CD-R media, where pretty much any
drive can write to any media at whatever is the highest speed in common
between the media and the drive.

What does this tell you:

cdrecord -atip -dev (your device like hdc or sg0 or something)

Lennart Sorensen