Program for delivering Ringtones

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 16 16:10:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 12:04:33AM -0400, Sidney Shapiro wrote:
> I have a client looking to have customers purchase cell phone ring tones and
> screen savers for their cell phones and have them sent to the phones upon
> completion of the sale. Anyone have any ideas as to what software would be
> required? His site is written in PHP using MySQL as the db.

Well the first requirement is the spec for each phone type to know the
format of files it requires and what custom headers it needs sent to
accept it as a file download.  There really isn't any standard for how
this is done.

Everything can be done in PHP (other than generating the file in the
correct format) for sending the file to a phone if it connects to a URL
with it's browser, at least on the many phone types I dealt with at my
previous job.

Something like hawhaw lib for php might be handy too for generating easy
WAP pages using php scripts.

Lennart Sorensen