Network Infrastructure w/Jabber

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 15 14:33:56 UTC 2004

Hey all,

I have an odd question about network topology.  I'm trying to start up a
Jabber server, which in and of itself isn't hard  (I love Debian:
apt-get install jabber).  The trick is that I don't want to run jabber
on my web and email server for a number of reasons, I want to run the
service on my desktop machine.

Here's the trick: the DNS entries for my domains map to the web and
email server.  I suppose I can add a subdomain (e.g.
jabber.indigofire.net) and use that, but I would really like to have
accounts @indigofire.net.  Anyone have any idea how I can do that?  Do
the SRV entries do something similar to MX entried for jabber?

Thanks!

Kareem