Network Infrastructure w/Jabber

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 15 15:20:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Kareem Shehata wrote:

> I have an odd question about network topology.  I'm trying to start up a
> Jabber server, which in and of itself isn't hard  (I love Debian:
> apt-get install jabber).  The trick is that I don't want to run jabber

Yep, it rocks :)

> Here's the trick: the DNS entries for my domains map to the web and
> email server.  I suppose I can add a subdomain (e.g.
> jabber.indigofire.net) and use that, but I would really like to have
> accounts @indigofire.net.  Anyone have any idea how I can do that?  Do
> the SRV entries do something similar to MX entried for jabber?

Look at using DNAT in the netfilter firewall (iptables) to redirect ports
from the web/email server to the other box.  Ssh can also be used to
redirect ports but using DNAT is preferable.  Using a redirection like
this it will look to the world like the jabber server is on the webserver
but in reality it is elsewhere.

Do consider the security implications of allowing someone to pass right
through the firwall and access a jabber server on your desktop box.  Make
sure you keep that box fully patched.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org