APIC on AMD Athlon 2500+ Broken?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 9 19:06:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:48:26PM -0400, Tim Writer wrote:
> > 3ware should to (like 90% of their cards are in linux systems they claim).
>
> I know others have had good success with IBM's ServeRaid but one of our
> customers had a single failed disk take the entire array with it.  Twice!

Well I haven't seen that, but I don't think SCSI garurentees that a dead
disk won't block the bus.  Of course with a 3ware controller each disk
has it's own bus so that isn't a problem.  Nice advantage to have over
scsi based raid actually where the connector is in fact a single point
of failure which can potentially be killed by a dead disk, although it
seems usually the disk just stops responding, or the electronics survive
enough to tell the controller it is dead and disconnect itself.  IDE in
general will kill the bus if a disk dies, which is why you should not
run raid with more than one disk per connector on ide.

Lennart Sorensen