martin & others please use other proper thread

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 31 19:47:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Garth Meisel wrote:

> Peter, does this mean that it doesn't matter if KDE or Gnome or any of the
> better desktops are installed and running?  Just so long as the minimum X
> server is installed and running?

Exactly. I run xawtv under fvwm and it also works without a window manager
(launch xawtv directly under X11).

> I'm asking because I'd like to throw a nice big security camera I came across
> onto a system that is running a firewall, null server(Postfix), web server
> and proxy on.  This particular machine was installed "text mode" only (SuSE
> 8.1) but does provide GUI's even though it was text only.  Did I hit a grey
> zone again?  All I'd want to do is monitor the camera's view (in color).

The zone is grey. Remeber you do not need X11 to be able to run something
like webcamd and look at your camera from a web browser. Thanks to Linux
modularity, this will work fine. 'Some work' will be required.

Peter